Roles facilitate new user onboarding and user setup in general by allowing you to define sets of permissions for various jobs in your organization. The Role Management page is used to assign features to a standard role or create a new role and assign features to it.
Standard roles are listed below:
- EMS Admin
- Message Admin
- Message Browser
- View Only
After you have associated a role with permissions, you can assign that role to a user group or, if needed, to an individual user.
You can hide a role by clicking the hide icon . See Show, hide, and rearrange table columns in the Customizing the meshIQ Secure interface for more information about managing columns.
Working with the Role Management table
When you first access the Role Management table, standard roles are represented by columns, and products are represented by rows.
Color indicators quickly show you a quick snapshot of each role's permissions per product and object type, as well as for individual features.
|All permissions are turned on (for a product or object type)
|An individual feature is turned on
|Some permissions are turned on and some are turned off (for a product or object type)
|An individual feature is turned off
|No permissions are turned on (for a product or object type)
Expanding and collapsing products and objects
Expand a product to view its objects. Expand an object to view individual features.
- To expand a product or object, click the expand button. You can also use the expand options that are above the table:
- To collapse a product or object, click the collapse button . You can also use the collapse options that are above the table:
Filtering products and objects
A Filter text field is now available to search for specific text on the Role Management page. Rows are filtered as you type.
Expand products to view the relevant objects:
Expand objects to view the individual rights:
Find objects and navigate search results
You can also use the Filter field as a search field.
- Click the Filter icon once. The label for the icon will change from "Filter" to "Navigate": .
- Enter a search term in the field provided. Results are found as you type. Search results are highlighted in mustard yellow. The current item is displayed in orange.
- You can browse search results. Navigate through results using the right and left arrows.
As you navigate to each result, product and object groups automatically expand as needed.
To edit permissions for any role, product, or object, directly from the Role Management grid, follow these steps:
- Click Edit Permissions: . You are now in Edit Mode. In Edit Mode, special icons are displayed to allow you to edit permission. Refer to the table above.
- Use the expand and collapse buttons to view products and objects.
- Click a check box to grant permission for a feature. A green check mark is displayed in the check box. To remove permission, click the green check mark. The check mark is removed. Clicking a partial indicator once will assign all permissions, by default, and change the indicator to a green check mark.
Clicking a check box at the product level assigns all permissions for all the product's objects to the role. Similarly, clicking a check box at the object level assigns permissions for all the objects. Removing a check mark at the product or object level removes all of the underlying permissions from the role.
- After updating permissions, click .
Create a new role
To create a new role:
- Select Security Manager > Role Management.
- Click the add button . The Role Create dialog opens.
- Enter the Role name in the space provided.
- Define permissions for the new role within the dialog, following the instructions above in Edit permissions. Pay special attention to the information provided in the tip.
- Click Save.
Edit a role
To edit a role's name or permissions:
- Click the role's menu icon (after its name) and select Edit Role. The Role Properties dialog opens. It is identical in functionality to the Role Create dialog.
- To edit the name of the role, enter a new name in the Role name field.
- To edit permissions for the role within the Role Properties dialog, following the instructions above in Edit permissions. Pay special attention to the information provided in the tip.
- Click Save.
Clone a role
To save time when setting up a new role, you can base it on the permissions of an existing role. Use the Clone option to do this.
To clone a role:
- Click the role's menu icon (after its name) and select Clone Role. The Role Clone Window opens. The Role Clone Window is identical in functionality to the Role Create dialog.
- Enter the name of the new role in the Role name field.
- To edit permissions for the new role within the Role Clone Window, follow the instructions above in Edit permissions. Pay special attention to the information provided in the tip.
- Click Save. The new role is added as a new column at the end of the table.
Delete a role
To delete a role:
- Click the role's menu icon (after its name) and select Delete Role. A confirmation message is displayed.
- Click Yes to delete the role, or No to cancel.
Export a role's data
To export a role's data:
- Click the role's menu icon (after its name) and select Export Role's Data (CSV) or Export Role's Data (JSON).
- A file in the chosen format (CSV or JSON) will automatically be downloaded. It will contain all permissions for the role. The file can be saved or opened.