You can turn off alerting for a set time period or at scheduled times using silences and mute timings.
- A Silence temporarily turns off notifications for a set duration, such as a few hours.
- A Mute timing turns off notifications according to a set schedule. For example, you can turn them off at certain regular times on certain days, or for entire days, weeks, months, or years. Mute timings can be selected when configuring notification policies.
Silence a alert
When you silence an alert, you're turning it off for a short period of time.
- Select the Grafana menu , expand the Alerting section and select Silences.
- Click Create Silence.
- Enter the Duration for which you want to silence the alert. The Silence start and end is updated automatically based on your entry.
- To narrow down the list of alerts that will be silenced, add labels. A list of the alerts that will be silenced is provided under Affected alert instances.
- Use the Comment area to explain why you are silencing the alerts.
- Click Save silence.
A mute timing is a predictable, regularly scheduled break from alerts that can be scheduled for a particular time of day, day or days of the week, or for certain months or years.
In this example, we will mute alert notifications from midnight to 3:30 a.m. on Sundays.
- Select the Grafana menu , expand the Alerting section and select Notification policies.
- Select the Mute Timings tab:
- Click + Add mute timing.
- Enter a Name to explain why you are muting notifications with this Mute Timing.
- Enter a Start time and End time.
- For this example, enter sunday for the Days of the week that the notifications will be muted.
- Click Save mute timing. It is saved to this list, as shown below.
After you've saved the timing, you can add it to a notification policy: