The management applications (meshIQ Manage and Navigator) use an SQL database to contain a variety of information. There are several types of data stored in 2 database schemas. Note that schema means slightly different things in different database engines, but for this article, it uses the basic definition of a data store.
There are 2 unique schemas based on their primary usage. These can be shared by multiple Workgroup Servers (WGS) and/or management GUI instances as long as all of them are at the same schema level. Attempting to run a mismatched schema version will generate a warning message when logging in and in the WGS monitoring policy.
- The nastel_apwmq schema stores the Workgroup Server (WGS) definitions, data collected from the managed systems, events, statistics and audit information. This schema can store data from multiple WGS. The size of this schema is dependent on the amount of data collected.
- The nastel_permv3 stores Web Security Manager (WSM) security definitions such as users groups and roles as well as management definitions such as settings, viewlets and dashboards. The data stored here is designed to be shared across multiple environments. This size of this schema is dependent on the number of definitions but it typical much smaller than nastel_apwmq.
There is limited overlap in usage. For example, the following are the only exceptions
- When the WGS loads the security definitions, these come from nastel_permv3 tables
- When a user logs in (using import users and roles), the WGS updates the nastel_permv3 tables
- When running a statistics report, the queries directly access the nastel_apwmq
- When using t0he WSM REST API either directly or from navxWSM
- When running an WGS audit report in apodwsm
The schemas are upgraded with each major release, as covered in How do I upgrade the database tables??