The functionality described in this article is available in meshIQ Manage versions 11 and greater. See meshIQ Highlights v11 for an overview of feature changes.
Set attribute filter criteria on the fly with variable values. Instead of using a hardcoded value that may need to be updated over time, you can set up a variable value in your attribute filter. Then set the variable value as needed, by clicking a Variable button on the user interface.
In the example below, an attribute filter looks for channel names that match its criteria using a text-based variable.
To use variables in an attribute filter:
- When setting up the attribute filter, choose Variable under Value Type. For attributes such as Node Type, whose possible values are items in a list, this option is unavailable.
- Click to manage the variable. Enter the name of a new variable, or choose an existing variable to use for this attribute filter.
- Click OK. The name you entered is displayed in the Value column.
- Click OK to save the new attribute filter.
Apply a variable when filtering a viewlet
- When viewing the channel viewlet on a dashboard, make sure that the attribute filter with the variable has been applied to the viewlet and that the viewlet's Active attribute filtering checkbox is selected.
- On the main interface, click the Variable button to set the criteria that the attribute filter will look for. In the example created earlier in this article, the variable is for text.
- Enter the text in the Modify Variables dialog:
- Click Save to apply the variable.