Some of the content described in this article is available in Navigator versions 10.4.2 and greater. See 10.4.2 Highlights for an overview of feature changes.
Custom properties are attributes that you can define for a variety of objects, then add to viewlets. These user-defined attributes can be anything you want them to be. Your viewlets can then be filtered and sorted by custom attributes, and multiple custom attributes can be added to each viewlet.
Custom properties are displayed in the properties dialogs alongside other MQ attributes and can be used for many of the same capabilities. Common examples are application-specific tags and contacts. They can also be used for classification for both display and monitoring purposes.
The following objects currently support custom attributes:
|IBM MQ||Manager, Queue, Channel, Topic|
|EMS||Manager, Queue, Topic|
|Kafka||Cluster, Broker, Topic, Schema, Schema Subject, Schema Subject Version|
|IIB||Broker, Server, Application, Service, Message Flow, Sub Flow|
|ACE||Integration Node, Server, Application, Service, Message Flow, Sub Flow|
Example: Credit Queues
In the example below, three custom properties have been added: the application name, a profile option for the queue, and the primary contact.
This allows you to create custom views such as this one to show information about the Credit queues.
This view uses the application name as a filter and uses a custom schema to show the contact information and other custom properties.
To learn how to add, display, and filter by custom attributes, continue reading below.
Add a New Custom Attribute
To add a custom attribute:
- Select Properties from the action pop-up menu of a queue manager or queue. The Properties window opens.
- Go to the Custom Attributes tab and click the Add button.
- In the Key field, enter the name of the attribute you are adding and its value for this object in the Value field.
- Click the Add button. The custom attribute is now added to this object and will appear in a new row.
Multiple custom attributes can be added. Simply repeat the steps above to add additional attributes.
Display Custom Attributes
To display the custom attributes in your viewlets, you will need to add them to your viewlet’s schema (see Schemas for more information).
- Click the Manage Viewlet Schemas button. The Manage Schemas screen opens.
- Select the desired schema and click Edit.
You cannot edit the default schema. If you do not have any schemas other than the default, see Schemas for information on how to add a new schema.
- On the Edit Schema screen, select Custom attributes from the filter drop-down to display all custom attributes that exist for this viewlet.
- From the left side of the screen select the custom attributes you want to add to the schema and click the Add button (or click Add all to add all of the custom attributes).
- You can specify to sort the viewlet by the custom attribute field.
- Click OK when finished on this screen and then on the Manage Schemas screen. Your viewlet will now display the custom attribute fields and their values.
Filter by Custom Attributes
You can use the Filter by field located at the top of the viewlet to display only rows containing the custom attribute value entered.
You can also use custom attributes when creating new viewlets. See Attribute Filter for more information.